Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday - Hill City SD

Hello to all,

Early this morning we left Sioux City and headed up I-29 north to I-90 and hung a left.  Westward bound now, we took full advantage of the speed limit.  Many of you know how I drive, well let's just say Tammy was surprised at me today. I told her "62 all the way", but I made her proud today.  We stopped at the Missouri River overlook for a needed rest stop and leg stretch.  As I was looking at the L&C displays, Tammy went ahead of me to explore some.  We met up outside and  she took me by the hand and led me to an overlook. On the way, she told me to close my eyes, and notice the smells and the sounds.  We were surrounded by cedars and the air was filled with their fragrance. The steady wind rustled the tall grasses in a symphony of soft music. The warm sun on my back felt so good. At that overlook, you could just imagine the Corps of Discovery camp on the western side of the river.   I was so thankful that Tammy led me to that spot.




It seems like everything changes when you cross the Missouri.  The terrain changes to rolling, undulating hills, the expanse of the great plains comes to life and one gets an idea as to why they are called the Great Plains.

This is my post. . .although we had not planned to, Jim indulged me with a ride through the Badlands.  We visited in 2006 and I came away from the visit considering the Badlands one of my favorite places.  The terrain is very unique.  Many look at it and call it odd or unearthly looking. It's uniqueness is part of it's allure but it's beauty goes beyond the physical.  There is an energy here, something that is hard to describe in words.  It is something you sense, you feel in every fiber.  Maybe it is the history of this region, what it symbolizes to the native people.  But as you look out over the painted rocks that stretch on for miles, listen and imagine,  just imagine yourself back in time, and you can almost hear the past carried on the wind.




On to the Black Hills in Custer State Park. Bison, mule deer, white tail deer, prairie dogs, prong horn antelope and mountain goats were out and about losing their winter coats and enjoying the fresh grasses and other edibles.

I know it seems like the Baptist Preacher is coming out in me, but some times there are no words to do justice to what the human eye sees, what the heart feels and the ears hear.  So here are a few pictures to highlight the day.  I am sure you all have had the same kind of experience before as Tammy and I had today.




We made a quick trip down to Wind Cave National Park.  The 4th largest cave system in the world, well over 100 miles of documented and surveyed rooms, chambers and such in multiple layers.  This National Park is tucked away at the bottom of Custer State Park in SD and well worth the visit.
The Black Hills of South Dakota are absolutely beautiful!




All in all, I would say that 4 to 5 days would be a good start to really enjoy this area.

Every hard mile driven today was worth every view and sensory event we experienced.

good night to all~ Jim & Tam

1 comment:

  1. I am loving reading this and feeling like we are there with you! I remember our trip to the Black Hills in 2005 and that strange, yet peaceful, feeling of the energy of the land that pulls you in.

    Thanks for Sharing! Love to both of you! Be Safe!

    ReplyDelete